Bactroban Cream Uses
Bactroban Cream, with the generic name mupirocin, is a topical antibiotic. It is used to treat bacterial skin infections that cause fever, pain, swelling, and redness. Also, this drug is best for skin conditions such as impetigo and other skin infections.
When the body detects an infection, the inflammatory process is alerted as a defense mechanism. When the immune system is compromised, it cannot contain inflammation. As a result, harmful bacteria will increase, worsening the infection.
When applied to the affected area, this topical cream directly inhibits bacterial protein synthesis, which is essential for bacteria to multiply. This drug eventually kills the bacteria and clears up the infection, reducing discomfort, swelling, and redness.
This drug is available in Bactroban Cream 2%.
How to use Bactroban Cream?
Read all medication instructions and information. Use the medication precisely as instructed. If you have any queries or are unsure how to administer this topical cream, consult your primary care physician or pharmacist.
Before applying this topical treatment, carefully clean and dry the affected area. Wash hands before and after applying this cream.
Apply a thin layer or small amount of this drug to the affected area using a cotton swab or gauze pad. Massage it gently three times every day for ten days or as directed by your doctor. If desired, cover the afflicted area with sterile gauze.
This cream should only be used externally and should not be taken orally or administered to the eyes, nose, mouth, or genitals. If your condition does not improve or worsens after one week of treatment, consult your doctor.
Side Effects of Bactroban Cream
The following are common mupirocin side effects that may resolve with time without medical intervention:
- Itching, burning, or stinging sensation in the treated area
If you experience any of the following adverse reactions, contact your doctor right away:
- Unbearable stomach pain
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Severe itching, rash
- Irritation of treated skin
- Unusual skin blistering or peeling
Bear in mind that this is not a comprehensive list of the potential health concerns associated with Bactroban cream.
Precautions when using Bactroban Cream
- Before starting this topical medication, tell your doctor about your medical history. Also, inform your doctor if you have diarrhea or kidney disease to avoid aggravating your condition.
- Do not use this medication if you are allergic to mupirocin or other components. When using this medication, you should seek medical attention as soon as you notice any of the following allergic reactions: rashes, hives, swelling of the face and lips, throat tightness, or difficulty breathing.
- Use this medication exactly as instructed by your physician. Applying it for a longer duration and larger quantity can decrease the number of essential hormones for normal body functioning.
- Use caution when using this drug on children under three months old. The safety and effectiveness of this cream are not yet established.
- Although there are minimal drug interactions, you should inform your doctor about your medications. Doing so can prevent untoward side effects that may occur.
- Keep this item out of the reach of children and store it carefully at room temperature.
How much does Bactroban Cream cost?
The price of this cream will depend on your dose and where you purchase the product. Check our price on top of this description.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply Bactroban cream to relieve itching?
Bactroban is used to treat certain skin infections. This drug should not be used for itchiness unless otherwise recommended by your physician.
Is it safe to apply Bactroban Cream to an open wound?
This topical treatment should not be used on open wounds or skin with cuts, scratches, or burns.
What if Bactroban Cream comes into touch with your eyes?
Bactroban Cream may cause eye irritation. Keep this drug away from your eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. If it goes into your eyes, thoroughly rinse them with plain water.
Is Bactroban safe to use for an extended period?
When this medicine is used for a lengthy period, it can cause new bacteria to grow, which can be resistant to the medication. Bactroban should not be used for a long-term treatment unless instructed by your physician.
Is Bactroban Cream effective for diaper rash?
If a bacterial infection causes the diaper rash, Bactroban is an effective treatment. However, the majority of diaper rashes are caused by a fungal infection. Consult your doctor about the best medication to use.
Is Bactroban Cream the best impetigo treatment?
Yes, Bactroban Cream for impetigo is the treatment of choice.