This gel is a topical combo medicine that contains clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. It is used in treating skin conditions caused by Propionibacterium acnes, such as mild to moderate acne. This medication is only for people over the age of 12.
This drug is available in 1/5% strength.
How does Benzaclin work?
Bacteria are usually present in the face, specifically in the follicle. When there is overactivity in the sebaceous gland, it generates too much oil, and the area becomes clogged. When it becomes blocked, bacteria get trapped inside your pores and produce fatty acids that can irritate your skin.
This obstruction can stretch your follicles. If it is too stretched, it can cause a rupture of follicles and can be a source of infection. As a result, redness and inflammation occur like pimples or acne.
This gel consists of two acne agents that have a harmonizing mechanism of action. Clindamycin is an antibiotic that helps stop the multiplication of bacteria in the skin. Benzoyl peroxide, on the other hand, aids in the removal of dead skin by sloughing and peeling. It also helps by unclogging your pores and eliminating extra oils, which is beneficial for clearing up zits.
How to use Benzaclin Gel?
Check all prescription directions and information carefully. Use the drug exactly as directed. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about how to use this topical gel.
In applying Benzaclin before and after use, thoroughly wash your hands. Also, use a gentle soap or cleanser to wash your face, paying extra attention to the affected area. Gently rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean cloth.
Use a pea-sized or small amount of this topical medicine to apply to the affected skin. Spread it evenly and gently massage it twice a day, in the morning and evening, or as prescribed by your doctor.
This topical therapy should only be administered externally and should not be taken orally or applied to the eyes, nostrils, mouth, or open wounds. Do not exceed the suggested dose; doing so will not improve your condition any faster and raise your risk of experiencing unwanted side effects.
If the treatment did not work as well as you had hoped or did not improve your condition, you should see and call your doctor.
Benzaclin Gel Side Effects
The following are the common side effects of this drug that may resolve with time without medical intervention:
- Itching, burning, or stinging sensation in the treated area
- Skin dryness and irritation
- Rash or skin discoloration/redness
- Shedding of the skin
If any of these side effects worsen over time or if you experience any of the following adverse reactions, contact your doctor immediately:
- Inflammation of the large intestine
- Severe diarrhea (bloody or watery)
- Unbearable stomach pain
- Severe irritation or burning sensation in the affected site
Bear in mind that this is not all the list of the potential health concerns linked with this medication.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of antibiotic-induced colitis, Crohn’s disease, or small intestine inflammation. This medication may worsen your underlying medical condition.
- If you are allergic to any of the following: clindamycin, lincomycin, benzoyl peroxide, or other ingredients, do not use this drug. When using this medication, you should seek medical advice as soon as you notice any of the following signs and symptoms: rashes, hives, swelling of the face and lips, throat tightness, or difficulty breathing.
- This medication can bleach your hair, clothing, and bedding. It is preferable to let this medication dry before going to bed after applying it.
- Use caution if you are using this medication because it may make you more sensitive to sunlight. When you’re going outside, it is advisable to avoid direct sunlight and wear protective clothing and sunscreen (SPF 30 or above).
- Medications containing erythromycin products, whether used topically or taken orally, should not be combined with Benzaclin since drug interactions may arise. Before using any medication, consult with your doctor first.
- Keep this item out of children’s reach and store it accordingly.
What is the Benzaclin price?
The cost of Benzaclin is pretty reasonable. You can add this item to your cart and purchase it in this online drugstore for a fast and easy transaction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Benzaclin gel available over the counter?
When purchasing Benzaclin gel, you must obtain a prescription from your doctor.
How fast does Benzaclin gel take to work in improving your skin problem?
It can take four to six weeks for Benzaclin gel to clear your acne.
When using this medication, you may experience purging, a scenario that likely worsens your condition first before improving it. In two to three months, you can notice the full therapeutic effects of this medication. Consult your doctor if you don’t see any improvement after a few weeks of utilizing the drug.
Is it okay to use other acne treatments alongside Benzaclin gel?
Combining Benzaclin gel with other acne medications, especially those containing erythromycin, is discouraged since it may exacerbate and increase the skin irritation effect of both drugs.
Is it effective to use Benzaclin for acne problems?
Yes, Benzaclin gel can effectively treat acne in people aged 12 and up if used correctly.