This medication is an antipsychotic and antidepressant medication prescribed to treat symptoms of schizophrenia, manic depression (bipolar I disorder), and major depressive disorder (MDD).
What is Abilify used for?
Treatments with this drug include:
- Symptoms of schizophrenia in adults and adolescents 13 to 17 years of age.
- Bipolar I condition can cause agitation.
- Irritability connected with an autistic condition
- Adjunct treatment for MDD when antidepressant alone is insufficient
- Tourette’s syndrome
Abilify and Alcohol:
- One should limit or avoid alcohol while being treated with Aripiprazole. The combination can increase nervous system side effects of this drug, such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Other patients may also experience impairment in judgment and thinking. If you are serious about regaining your mental stability, you should abstain from drinking alcohol.
Adult dose for Schizophrenia
- Target doses are 10 or 15 mg/day, taken once daily.
Adolescence does for Schizophrenia
- Recommended daily dose: 10 mg to 30mg
Dose for Acute Manic and Mixed Episode Treatment
- Adults should start with 15 mg once a day as monotherapy and 10 mg to 15 mg once daily as supplementary treatment with lithium or valproate.
Dose for Irritability Linked to Autistic Disorder
- The recommended dosage range for treating autistic-related irritability in pediatric patients is 5 to 15 mg/day.
- The dose range for Tourette’s Disorder is 5 to 20 mg per day for pediatric patients
- Take this drug precisely as your doctor has instructed. Read all instruction sheets and follow guidelines as prescribed. Your Physician may need to alter your dose from time to time.
- Without crushing, chewing, or breaking the tablet, swallow it whole. Splitting an orally disintegrating tablet is not recommended.
- This drug can be used either with or without meals.
Abilify Side Effects:
Most common side effects include:
- Blurred vision
- Extrapyramidal disorder
- Abilify is not licensed to treat dementia-related psychosis in older adults.
- Before beginning this medication, inform your doctor if you have diabetes or other metabolic problems.
- It is essential to closely monitor patients taking antidepressant medications for suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Abilify weight Gain possible?
-Yes, because this medication can affect blood sugar levels. Some persons may gain weight as a result of these aberrations
How effective is Abilify for anxiety?
-Studies showed that this medication might be a viable therapy option for some persons with anxiety. However, this medication may trigger anxiety symptoms in certain people. Thus, Abilify may not be appropriate for everyone who suffers from anxiety.
How long does it take for Abilify to work?
-After taking this medication orally, peak blood levels reached within three to five hours.