What is Actoplus Met used for?
The Actoplus Met drug class belongs to thiazolidinediones and biguanides. It is a potent medication that helps in controlling and reducing blood sugar levels. Therefore, this drug is best for patients suffering from Diabetes Mellitus Type 2.
This medication combines pioglitazone and metformin, which have different mechanisms of action but complement each other in a single pill.
Pioglitazone, a thiazolidinedione, works by reducing insulin resistance in the periphery and liver. In addition, it helps improve insulin sensitivity in the muscles, which results in much lower insulin levels in the body. Metformin HCl, a biguanide medication, functions differently. It decreases glucose synthesis in the liver, lowers glucose absorption in the gut, and improves insulin sensitivity. All at the same time, this results in lower blood glucose levels.
In addition to this regimen, diet and exercise should be included as an adjunct therapy. This will greatly help in reducing blood glucose levels.
Actoplus Met Dosage
The dosage of Actoplus Met varies from person to person, based on the client’s health, age, and tolerance. There are two strengths to choose from 15/500 mg and 15/850 mg.
The doctor may prescribe the usual initial dose of pioglitazone/metformin is 15 mg/500 mg daily to improve blood sugar control. It is gradually titrated depending on the assessment of your healthcare provider.
Dosage should not exceed the maximum daily dose of 45 mg pioglitazone and 2550 mg metformin HCl.
How should I take Actoplus Met?
Before using this medication, carefully read all drug directions and information. When taking the medication, follow the recommendations on the label or as instructed by your doctor. If you have any questions about this prescription drug, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
This drug should be taken orally once daily, ideally with food or milk in the morning. Without chewing or crushing the tablet, consume it whole.
Bear in mind not to change your dosage and frequency unless recommended by your physician.
Actoplus Met Side Effects
The following are the most prevalent pioglitazone/metformin HCl side effects that usually improve with time:
- Increased weight and swelling
- Runny nose, sneezing
- Sore throat
Contact your doctor immediately if you have any of the following serious side effects:
- Dark urine, painful urination, and a worsening urge to urinate;
- Blurring of vision
- Stomach upset (decreased or loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting)
- Unexplained muscle pain
- Cold, clammy skin (hands, feet)
- Trouble breathing
- Feeling dizzy or extremely weak
- Nausea and vomiting
- Unusual heart rate
Bear in mind that this is not a complete list of Actoplus Met’s health consequences. Other adverse effects are possible.
- If you have heart problems like heart failure, you should inform your doctor right away. Also, disclose if you have bladder cancer, kidney, lung, or liver problems, or use alcohol.
- If you have an x-ray or CT scan with a contrast agent, temporarily cease taking pioglitazone/metformin HCl.
- Do not use this medication if you are allergic to pioglitazone/metformin HCl or other components.
- When taking this drug, keep an eye out for any allergic reactions, such as rashes, hives, swelling of the face and lips, throat tightness, or breathing difficulty. You should seek medical advice as soon as these signs and symptoms develop.
- Actoplus Met has the potential to cause lactic acid buildup in the bloodstream, which can be lethal. Watch out for symptoms such as difficulty breathing, a slow or irregular heartbeat, an upset stomach, unusual tiredness, shortness of breath, feeling exhausted or weak, dizziness, coldness, or muscle discomfort. Call your physician right away.
- Pioglitazone has the possibility of causing congestive heart failure. Look out for signs and symptoms of rapid weight gain, difficulty breathing, or edema. Call your doctor immediately when this occurs.
- Use caution when taking this drug for an extended period because this can cause lower blood levels of Vitamin B12.
How much does Actoplus Met cost?
Candrugstore.com offers affordable prices on this medication. We have generic version for a cheaper price. Check the top of this page for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to drink alcohol while taking Actoplus Met?
No, drinking alcohol increases the risk of lactic acidosis. Lactic acid buildup in the body can have detrimental consequences, including death. It is advised not to drink alcohol while taking Actoplus Met.
When is the most appropriate time to take Actoplus Met?
You must take Actoplus Met regularly to avoid skipping a dose for the best result of the treatment. It should be taken with meals or when you are full to prevent stomach distress. Ideally, it is given in the evening.
Is Actoplus Met capable of causing pregnancy?
Actoplus Met contains metformin, a medication that can accelerate ovulation and raise the risk of unwanted pregnancy. Talk to your doctor about a birth control option that is suitable for you.
Is Actoplus Met safe to use in children?
No, Actoplus Met is not advisable for 18 years old and below. Talk to your doctor about the proper medication.
How long does Actoplus Met take to function?
It may take several months to fully see the medication’s therapeutic effect on your blood glucose levels.