What is Clenpiq used for?
Clenpiq is a laxative or bowel preparation medicine. It is a liquid solution taken orally to cleanse the colon before procedures such as colonoscopy or X-rays. This medication aids in better access for your doctor to see and examine your intestines.
This drug is available in the form of an oral powder solution, with a strength of 10 mg/3.5 g/12g.
How does Clenpiq work?
Clenpiq solution is a combination of three highly effective drugs.
When taken correctly and absorbed into the bloodstream, sodium picosulfate acts as a stimulant laxative that triggers colonic peristalsis. However, magnesium oxide and anhydrous citric acid form into magnesium citrate. Magnesium citrate acts as an osmotic laxative, causing water retention in the stomach. As a result, it facilitates the passing stool, making it easier to defecate.
How to use Clenpiq?
Initially, read all guidelines and info thoroughly. Use the medication as recommended and as instructed. If you have queries or are unsure how to use this drug, do not hesitate to seek medical advice from a qualified professional.
Clenpiq instructions are simple to follow. Take this drug in two separate doses for two days. Make sure to dilute the powder entirely in five ounces of cold water before drinking the whole mixture.
Discuss with your doctor which mode of administration is appropriate for you. It can be given as a split dose, or the other Clenpiq alternative method is a day-before dosage regimen.
Remember that drinking clear liquids is part of the preparation process. Avoid drinking milk, alcohol, dairy products, colored drinks, and solid foods while taking this medication.
Do not overuse this drug as it will not help your condition faster. If using this drug does not help improve and worsen your illness, talk to your doctor for other alternatives.
Clenpiq Side Effects
The most common reported side effects of using this medication that usually improves over time include:
- High magnesium levels in your blood
- Abdominal pain
- Rash, itchy skin
There are only a few cases where these effects worsen. Contact your doctor right away if you suffer any of the following adverse effects:
- Unbearable abdominal pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Severe dehydration
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Kidney problems: urinating less frequently, fatigue, swelling (lower and upper extremities)
Keep in mind that this is not a complete list of the potential health implications related to this mediation. Other unwanted outcomes are possible.
Before you start using this medication, it is essential to do the following:
- Be sure to inform your doctor if you have dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, alcohol withdrawal, stomach, heart, liver, or kidney problems. Doing so will ensure that the medication will be safe for you.
- Inform your doctor about your medications and vitamins, especially concurrent use of sedatives, to avoid drug interaction.
- Do not use this drug if you have a known allergy to sodium, magnesium oxide, and anhydrous citric acid. When using this medication, keep an eye out for any allergic reactions such as rashes, hives, swelling of the face and lips, throat tightness, or difficulty breathing. When these signs and symptoms appear, you should seek medical help immediately.
- This medication can cause dizziness and avoid activities that require alertness, such as driving or operating machinery to prevent accidents.
- Do not use this medication if you have conditions such as kidney disease, bowel obstructions, or stomach problems. Doing so can keep you from worsening your condition.
- Ensure to drink plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
- Bear in mind to keep this oral medication out of the reach of children and store it accordingly.
How much does Clenpiq cost in Canada?
The price of this medication with its effectiveness, is very reasonable. You can purchase this medicine from our online drug store conveniently.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Clenpiq and Suprep?
On Clenpiq vs Suprep, both drugs work as laxative agents. However, the former contains sodium picosulfate, magnesium oxide, and anhydrous citric acid, while the latter has active ingredients of sodium, potassium, and magnesium sulfate.
In addition, Clenpiq can be given to patients aged nine and up, while Suprep bowel prep kit is safe to use by individuals 12 years old and above. Furthermore, Clenpiq is available in two separate doses for two days, while Suprep requires two doses per day for a two-day regimen.
How long does it take for Clenpiq to work or function?
It depends on how your body responds to the medication. Usually, bowel movement occurs two to four hours after drinking this medication. Make sure that you are near the bathroom.
Is the Clenpiq pill safe for kidneys?
Use caution when using Clenpiq, as this drug can increase your risk for kidney problems or injury. Since this drug contains magnesium, a buildup might occur if the body cannot eliminate it. This can result in cardiac problems, unstable blood pressure levels, and nausea. It is best to drink an adequate amount of fluids to stay hydrated.
What is the taste of Clenpiq?
There’s no need to worry, Clenpiq tastes better compared to other oral medications. This drug tastes like candy, and it is available in cranberry flavor.