Hytrin (terazosin) is an alpha-adrenergic blocker class of medicine used alone or other drugs to treat high blood pressure. Hytrin medication relaxes the veins and arteries, allowing blood to flow more freely. It also helps men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate) improve urination. It eases urination by relaxing the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck.
- Initially 1 mg at bedtime, increase gently to obtain the desired result. 1–5 mg HTN once a day
- Maximum dose: 20 milligrams per day.
- Once a day, take 5-10 mg of BPH.
Hytrin vs Flomax
- Both medicines help improve urination. Some studies showed that Hytrin (Terazosin) resulted in significantly higher improvement compared to treatment with Flomax (tamsulosin). Flomax though showed fewer and less severe side effects.
- If medical therapy for an enlarged prostate is required, Flomax is a good option, although it can impair sex drive and take time to take effect.
- If this medicine makes you feel light-headed, you may want to take it solely at bedtime.
- You will need to have your blood pressure and/or prostate tested regularly. Seeing your doctor regularly is important.
- Even if you feel fine, continue to use this if you are being treated for high blood pressure. Many people with high blood pressure don’t show any symptoms. It is possible that you will have to take blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
Hytrin Side Effects:
If you have any of the following significant side effects, contact your doctor right away:
- Fluttering in your chest
- The sensation of being about to pass out
- If you have swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet; or if you have
- Erections lasting 4 hours or more that are painful.
The following are examples of less harmful adverse effects:
- Slight vertigo;
- Sleepiness, weakness
- Eyesight problems;
- Stomach ache; or
- If you are allergic to terazosin, you should not take this.
- This might induce dizziness or fainting, especially when you first start or restart taking it. If this medicine makes you feel light-headed, you may want to take it solely at bedtime. Be cautious if you’re driving or doing anything else that requires you to be alert.
- When you first wake up, you may feel quite dizzy. When rising or sitting up from a lying posture, be cautious.
- During exercise and in hot weather, avoid standing for lengthy periods or being overheated.
Frequently Asked Questions
-What is the Hytrin Generic Name?
Terazosin is the generic name of this drug used to treat symptoms of an enlarged prostate and high blood pressure.
-How does this medication work?
This works by blocking alpha-adrenergic receptors in the blood vessels, relaxing muscles and improving blood flow, and relaxing bladder muscles in men with an enlarged prostate.