Linzess (linaclotide) is a prescription drug prescribed for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) and chronic idiopathic constipation in adults (CIC). This medication softens the stool by boosting the release of chloride and water in the intestines and aids in accelerating the movement of food in the colon.
- Treatment of bowel problems and symptoms of IBS-C and CIC including abdominal pain, bloating, and discomfort in people with constipation as the main symptom.
- Purchasing this drug is easy and convenient. Linzess cost is very reasonable so check the top of the page to check the price.
Linzess Dosage Information
Dosage for Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Adults:
- Linzess 290 mcg orally once a day
- Dosage for Constipation in Adults
- Linzess 145 mcg orally once a day
- 72 mcg may be given depending on the patient’s condition and tolerability.
- This should be taken exactly as recommended by your doctor. Review all drug guides and instructions that came with your medications and follow all directions on the label.
- Take this by mouth 30 minutes before your first meal of the day on an empty stomach.
- It should be swallowed whole. The capsule should not be crushed, chewed, broken, or opened.
- Store away from moisture and heat. Maintain the medicine in its original container.
Linzess Side Effects
The common side effects are as follows:
- diarrhea (if this persists, stop using and consult your doctor immediately)
- stomach pain
- bloating or a sense of pressure in the stomach
- symptoms of colds like stuffy or runny nose, sinus pain, sneezing
Weight loss is an adverse effect and may be related to regular defecation for IBS patients suffering from constipation for a long period and not due to the fat-burning effect.
- This medication should not be used if you are allergic to linaclotide or if your intestines are blocked (bowel obstruction).
- It is not recommended for use as an appetite suppressor. Hunger suppression is just a side effect.
- This medication is not recommended for anyone under the age of 18 without the guidance of a doctor
- Not recommended for use in children under 6 years of age to prevent the risk of serious side effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this effective for losing weight?
–Linzess for weight loss is not a recommended use and should never be mistaken for one.
When is the most appropriate time to take this medication?
-Take this medication 30 minutes before your first meal every day.
Is it common to experience diarrhea when on this medication?
-Yes, diarrhea is the most common side effect of taking Linzess and can sometimes lead to a severe case. Stop taking this medication once you experience severe diarrhea and seek immediate medical attention.
Is this medication laxative?
-No, it is not a laxative. It is a drug used to control symptoms of IBC-S and CIC, including abdominal pain, discomfort, and bloating.