Uses of Xigduo XR
Xigduo XR (Dapagliflozin/Metformin HCl) is a combination of Dapagliflozin and Metformin HCl, a potent antidiabetic medicine. It helps stabilize and reduce blood sugar levels when combined with a healthy diet and exercise. It is indicated for adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) and heart problems.
How does Xigduo XR work?
Xigduo XR consists of two antidiabetic medications that work well together. Dapagliflozin, a sodium glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor, works by limiting blood sugar reabsorption in the kidneys and increasing glucose excretion through urination. It also reduces sodium reabsorption, which helps decrease cardiac workload.
Metformin HCl, a biguanide drug, decreases glucose production in the liver, lowers glucose absorption in the intestine, and enhances insulin sensitivity. Hence, it reduces glucose levels.
Xigduo XR Dosage
The dosage of Xigduo XR differs from person to person, depending on your health status and tolerance. There are three strengths available: 10/500mg, 5/1000mg, and 10/1000mg.
The recommended initial dose of Dapagliflozin is 5mg once a day to improve blood sugar control. The recommended dose of Dapagliflozin for heart failure is 10 mg per day.
Adjustment in the dosage is dependent on your physicians’ assessment and instructions. Dosage should not exceed the maximum daily dose of 10mg Dapagliflozin and 2000mg of Metformin HCl.
Best way to use Xigduo XR
Read all drug instructions and information carefully before using Dapagliflozin/Metformin HCl. Follow the directions on the leaflet or as directed by your doctor when taking the drug. If you have any questions about how to use this drug, you should contact your healthcare practitioner.
This drug should be taken orally once daily, ideally in the morning with food or milk. Consume the whole tablet without chewing or crushing it. Doing so may compromise the drug’s long-acting effect.
Do not alter your Dapagliflozin/Metformin HCl dosage. Changing the dosage and frequency of the medication is not recommended because of the increased risk of experiencing side effects. If you need to make any changes, consult your doctor.
Xigduo XR Side Effects
The most common Dapagliflozin/Metformin HCl side effects that generally improve with time are as follows:
- Genital Infection (yeast and bacterial)
- Stomach upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea)
- Colds or flu-like symptoms (runny or stuffy nose, sore throat)
- Muscle pain
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
If any of these side effects worsen over time or if you develop any of the following adverse events, contact your doctor right away:
- Urine that is dark, cloudy, or has a foul odor, or urine that contains blood
- Urge to urinate frequently, yet urinating less than usual
- Burning sensation upon urination
- Breathing problems
- Flank pain
- Decreased appetite
This list does not include all of the health implications of Xigduo XR. Other adverse effects could occur.
- Make sure you have fully disclosed your medical history to your doctor, especially if you have diabetic ketoacidosis, kidney disease, liver or lung problems, or drinking alcohol, as this can aggravate your medical condition.
- If you have an x-ray or CT scan with a contrast agent, temporarily cease taking Dapagliflozin/Metformin HCl.
- Do not use this drug if you have an allergy to Dapagliflozin, Metformin, or any other component.
- When taking this medication, keep an eye out for any allergic reactions such as rashes, hives, swelling of the face and lips, throat tightness, or difficulty breathing. As soon as these signs and symptoms appear, you should seek medical help.
- Extremely low or high glucose levels might cause lightheadedness or drowsiness. To avoid accidents, avoid tasks that need alertness, such as driving and operating machinery.
- This drug may cause a buildup of lactic acid in the blood and can be fatal. Watch out for symptoms such as trouble breathing, slow or irregular heartbeat, upset stomach, unusual sleepiness, shortness of breath, feeling exhausted or weak, dizziness, feeling cold, or muscle pain. Contact your healthcare provider and seek medical advice immediately.
- Drug interaction may occur when taking this medication, you should inform your doctor about the medicines and vitamins you are taking.
What is the cost of Xigduo XR in Canada?
Xigduo XR cost varies depending on your dose. Check out the prices above to see how affordable our prices are.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible for Xigduo XR to cause weight loss?
Clinical trials have shown that Xigduo XR weight loss is 3 percent of patients’ body weight.
Does Xigduo XR put you at risk of getting pregnant?
Yes, Metformin is present in Xigduo XR, which stimulates ovulation and may result in pregnancy if you are sexually active. While using this drug, talk to your doctor about contraception.
Is it usual for some part of the Xigduo XR tablets to pass out in the stool?
Yes, this is normal, and you should not be concerned about it.
Is it possible to take Xigduo XR in the evening?
Follow your doctor’s instructions when taking your medication. It is recommended to be taken in the morning after meals to avoid stomach upset.