Zonegran Product Description
This is a prescription medicine that is commonly used to treat partial seizures in people with epilepsy. Your doctor may advise you to use this medication or generic Zonisamide in addition to other anticonvulsant medications to improve your chances of significantly lowering your seizures and the frequency with which they occur.
What is Zonegran used for?
- This works as a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor to give you efficient seizure management.
- This also works by blocking sodium and calcium from entering nerve cells in your brain when they fire too quickly when taken as prescribed.
- This medication is not a cure for epilepsy but can provide some respite from a partial seizure and allow you to go about your daily chores while lowering your risk of falling.
Topamax vs Zonegran
- Both these medications are anticonvulsants used to prevent epileptic seizures.
- Zonegran is as effective as Topamax in preventing migraine. Zonegran may be considered as an alternative treatment for migraine when Topamax is not tolerated well.
- Zonisamide is delivered orally once or twice daily in 25 mg or 100 mg capsules; while the typical adult dose of Topamax is 200mg twice a day.
- Read the medication guide and consult your doctor if you have any queries.
- Take this drug by mouth as prescribed by your doctor, often 1 to 2 times a day with or without a meal.
- Drink plenty of liquid to avoid the formation of kidney stones, unless your doctor tells otherwise.
Zonegran side effects in adults may be more sensitive to the following:
- Appetite suppression
- Mood or mental shifts
- Sleeping problems
- Memory issues
Below are more rare adverse effects while taking the medication:
- Changes in eyesight, such as pain or redness in your eyes;
- Confusion, vomiting, fatigue, and irregular heartbeats
- renal stone symptoms
- Seizures have worsened or gotten severe.
- The initial symptom of any skin rash, no matter how minor
- skin reaction that is extreme
- This medication may cause dizziness or drowsiness especially if you consume alcohol or marijuana (cannabis).
- This medicine may cause you to sweat less, increasing your risk of heatstroke. Avoid activities that may cause you to overheat, such as strenuous labor or exercise, as well as using hot tubs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Zonegran for weight loss possible?
This drug was originally prescribed as an anti-seizure medicine but children who were given this medication for seizures stopped eating. Hence, it is now recommended for effective weight loss, either alone or in combination with other drugs.
How effective is Zonegran for migraine?
This medication has been shown to be 99.9% successful in treating migraine-related persistent vertigo, aura, and loss of vision/visual abnormalities.
Is Zonegran for hair loss possible?
Yes, hair loss has been observed among these drug users, particularly women aged 50 to 59 who have been taking the medication for 6 to 12 months.