Nasonex nasal spray is used to treat nasal symptoms such as congestion, sneezing, and runny nose caused by seasonal or year-round allergies. This medication belongs to the corticosteroid class of drugs, and it acts by decreasing inflammation in the nasal passages.
It inhibits the release of inflammatory chemicals in the body and is also used to treat nasal polyps
Nasacort vs Nasonex
- These two are very similar medications and are both used to treat allergic rhinitis and nasal symptoms due to inflammation of the lining of the nose. However, Nasonex can also be used to treat nasal polyps.
- Triamcinolone acetonide is the active component of Nasacort, whereas mometasone furoate is used in Nasonex.
Adult Dosage for Allergic Rhinitis:
- Once a day, spray two times in each nostril.
Dose for Nasal Polyps in Adults:
- 2 sprays twice a day in each nostril In some patients, 2 sprays in each nostril once a day may be sufficient.
Dose for Allergic Rhinitis in Children:
- From the age of two to eleven years: Once a day, spritz one spray in each nostril.
- 12 years and up One a day, spray two times in each nostril.
- Gently blow your nose. Maintain a straight posture and push the bottle’s tip into one nostril. With your finger, shut the other nostril. Inhale deeply and spritz the drug into your nose softly. Then spray the other nostril with the spray.
- Wait at least a few minutes after using the nasal spray before blowing your nose.
- Use just the quantity of sprays recommended by your doctor.
- Rinse with water if the spray goes into your eyes, mouth, or skin.
- If it’s been more than a week since you’ve used the nasal spray, prime it by spraying the medicine into the air until a fine mist develops.
Nasonex Side Effects
Potential Side Effects of this medication:
- Inflammation of the throat
- Nose irritation or burning
- Mometasone can reduce the number of white blood cells in your body, which helps your body fight infections. Avoid being in close proximity to people who are sick or infected. If you’ve been exposed to chickenpox or measles, see your doctor for treatment. Users of this medication are at risk of developing these conditions, which can be life-threatening.
Frequently Asked Questions
-What does Nasonex do?
Nasonex (mometasone) is a drug that is used to treat nasal polyps and to prevent and cure the symptoms of seasonal allergies.
–What is Nasonex Active Ingredient?
Mometasone furoate is the active ingredient in this medication. This is a member of the corticosteroid family of medications, which are used to help reduce inflammation.
–What does Nasonex 50 mcg nasal spray do?
It is prescribed for the treatment of nasal congestion caused by seasonal allergic rhinitis in adults and children aged 2 years and up.