What is Benicar Hct?
Benicar Hct, also known as olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide, is an oral antihypertensive medicine. It is a type of angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) with thiazides. This drug is given to control blood pressure in individuals who have hypertension. Lowering your blood pressure reduces your risk of getting heart disease, stroke, and renal problems if not addressed immediately.
This medication can be used as a single therapy pill or in combination with other drugs to treat high blood pressure.
How does Benicar Hct work?
When blood pressure is high, angiotensin II is chemically activated. Angiotensin is a powerful hormone that causes constriction in your blood vessels (veins, arteries, and capillaries). This constriction results in blood pressure rising, cardiac workload increases, and blood flow in the body decreases.
This medicine is a combo drug that consists of olmesartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Both work hand in hand and effectively lower your blood pressure.
Olmesartan is an angiotensin II inhibitor that prevents angiotensin II from binding to angiotensin II receptors in vascular smooth muscles. As a result, it dilates blood vessels, improves blood circulation, and lowers blood pressure.
Hydrochlorothiazide (Hct) is a water pill known as a diuretic drug. It limits the active reabsorption of sodium and chloride ions. Also, it increases urine output. Hence, it decreases blood volume and blood pressure.
Benicar Hct Dosage
The amount of medicine you need and how frequently you take it will depend on your health condition and tolerance. This film-coated pill is available in four oral strengths: 20/12.5 mg, 20/25 mg, 40/12.5 mg, and 40/25 mg.
Benicar Hct 40/12.5 mg tablet once daily is the suggested beginning dose for people whose blood pressure is not controlled by olmesartan alone. The dosage can be gradually increased to 40/25 mg if prescribed by your healthcare practitioner.
For patients whose blood pressure cannot be controlled by Hct alone, a 20/12.5 mg pill once daily is recommended as a starting dose. This drug can be titrated to a daily dose of 40/25 mg per tablet if needed.
How to use Benicar Hct?
Review the prescription and take the drug exactly as directed. All drug instructions and information should be thoroughly read and understood. If you are unsure about anything, seek medical advice from a skilled person, such as a doctor or pharmacist.
Take this drug orally at the same time every day to avoid missing a dose. If you forget to take this drug, take it as soon as you remember it. If ever it is already near your next dose, skip the missing dose and resume your regular schedule. Make a note on your calendar to remind yourself to take your medication.
You can take this medication with or without regard to food.
Lifestyle changes should be added as an adjunct therapy in managing high blood pressure. This includes regular physical activity, eating a healthy diet, quitting smoking, and minimizing stress.
Do stop taking this drug even if your blood pressure has dropped unless instructed by your physician. Notify and visit your physician if your condition does not improve.
Side Effects of Benicar Hct
The following are the usual side effects of olmesartan hydrochlorothiazide:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Increased blood uric acid levels
The following are the adverse reactions that require notifying your healthcare provider:
- Eye problems: Blurred vision, eye pain
- High potassium symptoms: muscle weakness, irregular heart rate, chest pain, confusion
- Decreased to no urine output
- Extreme thirst
- Severe dry mouth
- Severe diarrhea
Please note that this list does not include an exhaustive list of the potential side effects of this drug.
Before you begin taking this drug, make the following preparations:
- Let your doctor know if you have a history of persistent diarrhea/vomiting, lupus, gout, liver, or kidney problems, as they can worsen your current medical condition.
- Do not take this medication if you are allergic to olmesartan, hydrochlorothiazide, or other ingredients. Keep an eye out for side effects such as rashes, hives, swelling of the face and lips, throat tightness, or difficulty breathing while taking this drug. You should contact your doctor as soon as you see any of these signs and symptoms.
- Inform your doctor if you use potassium supplements or salt substitutes that contain potassium. This drug can cause an increase in potassium levels, which can be harmful if taken in large quantities.
- Do not use this drug if you are on medications that contain aliskiren; this medicine may interact with them.
- Tell your doctor if you’re using diuretics, NSAIDs, or lithium to avoid drug interactions.
- Do not use this drug if you are pregnant because it can harm the unborn baby. Stop using this medicine if pregnancy is detected. Consult your doctor about other options for lowering your blood pressure.
- Because this medication may produce dizziness, avoid activities that require alertness, such as driving or operating a machine. Doing so can prevent you from accidents.
- Properly store this medication and discard pills that have exceeded their expiration date.
How much does Benicar Hct cost?
Benicar Hct price is very reasonable. You can effortlessly buy this medication in this online drugstore.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Benicar and Benicar Hct?
Both drugs are angiotensin II receptor blockers, but Benicar Hct contains thiazides, which help lower blood pressure levels. Also, Benicar can be given to children aged six and up, while Benicar Hct is used for adult patients.
How fast does it take for Benicar Hct to lower blood pressure?
According to studies, it may take up to four weeks of using Benicar Hct regularly to normalize your blood pressure.
When is the most appropriate time to take Benicar Hct?
Benicar Hct should be taken regularly, with or without food. Because it has a diuretic effect, it is best to take this medication in the morning or four hours before bedtime.
What is the recommended age for using Benicar Hct?
Benicar Hct is just for adults; children of any age should not use it.
What is the generic name of Benicar Hct?
Benicar Hct generic name is olmesartan/hydrochlorothiazide.