Ribavirin is used in combination with interferon to treat chronic hepatitis C infection. Hepatitis C is a viral infection that causes swelling or enlargement of the liver. Ribavirin works by reducing the amount of hepatitis C virus in your body, which may help your liver recover.
This drug may also be used to treat severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
Before using this medicine, tell your health care provider about any of the following: if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding; if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine; if you have any other medical conditions. Do not take if you are allergic to any ingredient in this medicine.
- Ribavirin should never be used alone to treat hepatitis C infections.
- Do not take Ribavirin if you have a history of serious or uncontrolled heart problems.
- Ribavirin may cause birth defects and/or death in unborn babies that are exposed to it during pregnancy. If you or your sexual partner are or may be pregnant, do not take this medicine.
- It is not effective for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus infection.
- Use caution while driving or operating any machinery as it may cause drowsiness or dizziness.
Before using Ribavirin tell your doctor:
- if you have a female sexual partner who is of childbearing age
- if you have a history of cancer, heart problems or heart attack, high blood pressure, kidney problems, diabetes, pancreas problems, lung or breathing problems, sarcoidosis, blood problems (eg, anemia), thyroid problems, or HIV infection
- if you have liver problems such as hepatitis B infection, cirrhosis of the liver, or decreased liver function
- if you have a history of anxiety or other mood or mental disorders, thoughts of suicide, or suicidal behavior
- if you have used interferon before to treat hepatitis C and it did not work
- if you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse
Ribavirin side effects
Cough, upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, loss of appetite, weight loss, changes in ability to taste food, dry mouth, difficulty concentrating, difficulty, falling asleep or staying asleep, memory loss, rash, dry, irritated, or itchy skin, sweating, painful or irregular menstruation, muscle or bone pain, hair loss.
This information is advisory only. It does not contain all information about this medication. If you have any questions about Ribavirin, ask your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider.
CanDrugstore.com, a Canadian Internet-based pharmacy intermediary (license #BC X23), offers low cost, long-term prescription drugs. A professionally registered pharmacist fills all Canadian prescriptions. A certified member of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association, CanDrugstore.com is ranked as one of the best Canadian pharmacies .
For more information on how to order Canada drugs safely and securely call 1-866-444-6376 or visit http://www.candrugstore.com/– a trusted and reliable Canadian online pharmacy for over 5 years.