Welchol Product Description
This medication is a drug that is used to treat high cholesterol levels in the blood. This medicine, used in conjunction with exercise and proper diet, reduces the risk of heart disease and helps prevent strokes and heart attacks.
What is Welchol used for?
- This is a medication used to treat excessive cholesterol in adults and children over the age of ten.
- This medication may be used in conjunction with “statin” cholesterol drugs such as atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin, and others.
- This is also used to help persons with type 2 diabetes control their blood sugar levels.
Forms and strengths
- 625 mg
- Powder for oral suspension
Welchol 625 mg tablet
- Adults suffering from primary hyperlipidemia and type 2 diabetes:
6 pills once a day or 3 tablets twice a day; take orally with a meal or as directed by your doctor.
Tablet form is not recommended for children due to the tablet size.
Welchol powder for oral suspension is the one recommended for children to be taken one packet once daily.
- Read all drug guides and follow all guidelines on your prescription label. Take the medication as prescribed.
- This medication should be taken with a meal and a full glass of water or other beverages.
- When taking this medication, you may need to take several tablets at once.
- For oral suspension, empty contents of one packet into a glass of liquid; Stir well and drink. Do not take the oral suspension in its dry form.
Welchol Side Effects:
Possible Adverse Effects
- Discomfort or pain in the stomach
- Muscle ache
- If you have diabetic ketoacidosis, very high triglycerides, a history of intestinal obstruction, or a history of pancreatitis caused by high triglycerides, do not use this drug.
- This drug may raise your triglycerides, increasing your risk of pancreatitis. Your doctor will do blood tests to ensure that your triglycerides are not too high for you to use this medication safely.
- This medication should not be used in females who have not yet begun to have menstrual periods.
- This medication should not be given to a youngster under the age of ten.
Frequently Asked Questions:
-What is the best time of day to take Welchol?
Begin with three pills at 7:00 a.m. daily. Wait 1.5 hours before eating anything. Make adjustments until you find what works best for your physique, also ask your doctor for more information.
-How effective is Welchol for Diarrhea?
This medication is a bile acid binder. This is thought to work in cases of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) by reducing the number of bile acids in the intestines, hence reducing diarrhea.
-Is this medication the same as a statin?
Welchol and statin lower blood LDL but the two work differently. Welchol is a “bile acid sequestrant” that works in the intestine while statins work in the liver.