Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution is a prescription medication used to treat the symptoms of dry eye condition (DED). This medicine helps improve symptoms of DED by reducing inflammation.
How does Xiidra work?
Known as ocular anti-inflammatory medications, this medication is used to treat irritation caused by dry eyes. It inhibits a protein on the surface of cells that can cause eyes to produce insufficient tears or tears of inaccurate consistency to maintain healthy eyes.
This contains lifitegrast, a drug that holds to specific proteins in the body and reduces inflammation. Dry eye disease symptoms may be the result of inflammation in the eyes.
Xiidra vs Restasis
- Xiidra and Restasis belong to different drug classes. Restasis is an immunosuppressive medication, whereas Xiidra is an antagonist of lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 (LFA-1).
- Restasis is an eye solution used to stimulate tear production in persons with ocular inflammation. It is a liquid emulsion containing cyclosporine. This chemical is part of a class of medications that depress the immune system, causing an increase in natural tears.
- This medication helps dry eyes by reducing inflammation on the eye surface. The active ingredient is lifitegrast, which reduces edema in the eye tissue enabling the eyes to produce more tears in an irritation-free manner.
- Taking both drugs twice daily is recommended, roughly 12 hours apart.
- Side effects similar to both drugs include eye discomfort and blurred vision.
Xiidra and Hair Loss
Hair loss has been observed in this medication users, particularly in females, 60 years or older, taking medicine for 1 – 6 months.
- You should take this exactly as prescribed. All instructions on your prescription must be followed.
- This medication is administered as one drop in each eye twice daily (every 12 hours) using a single-use container. Dispose of the container immediately after use in each eye.
- Wash hands thoroughly before using this medication
Xiidra Side Effects
Among the common side effects are:
- vision clouded;
- extreme redness or inflammation of the eyes;
- a peculiar or unpleasant taste in the mouth
Stop using this medication and contact your doctor immediately if you have any of the above symptoms.
- When wearing contact lenses, do not use this medication. After using this medication, wait at least 15 minutes before putting in your contact lenses.
- Any individual with allergies to any of its ingredients should not use it.
Frequently Asked Questions
-How effective is Xiidra for dry eyes?
This medication may reduce dry eye symptoms over time by lowering inflammation in your eyes.
-Does using this medication make the eye worse?
No, this medication should not aggravate your dry eye problem. However, there is a chance that this drug will induce side effects like blurred vision, inflammation, and eye discomfort.