Imitrex Injection Uses
Imitrex Injection is an antimigraine drug. Its generic name is Sumatriptan. It is best to treat patients who have acute migraine episodes and cluster headaches.
Sumatriptan works as a serotonin receptor agonist. Serotonin (known as 5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) is a chemical messenger that carries signals between nerve cells throughout the body. When this medicine is absorbed in the bloodstream, it binds to the serotonin receptors located in the brain. It reduces pain by constricting blood vessels in the brain and inhibiting the release of inflammatory neuropeptides.
Imitrex Injection Dosage
The recommended dose for migraine attacks and cluster headaches is injecting a pre-filled pen of 6mg/0.5mL just below your skin. When your migraine and cluster headache fades after the first dose but occurs again, use another pre-filled Imitrex injection if it has been at least an hour since the first injection. Dosage should not exceed two 6 mg injections at the one-hour interval within 24 hours.
Adjustment in the dosage, form, and frequency depends on your health practitioner’s assessment and instructions.
How to use Imitrex Injection?
Read all the directions and information carefully before using Sumatriptan injection. When taking the drug, follow the instructions on the label or advised by your doctor. Contact your healthcare provider if you have any questions about this medication or require medical assistance.
This drug is administered just beneath your skin. Before giving each dose, make sure you properly wash your hands and sanitize the injection site. Inject it into areas with a sufficient fat tissue layer, such as the upper arm or thigh.
To start injecting, place the open end of the pre-filled pen on the injection site and unlock the safety needle cover by pressing it firmly against the skin. Wait until you hear a second click, which indicates that the injection is complete, before pressing and releasing the blue activation button.
Do not change your Imitrex injection dosage. Changing the dosage and frequency of the medication is not recommended because of the increased risk of experiencing side effects. Consult your doctor if you need to make any adjustments.
Imitrex Injection Side Effects
The following are the most common Sumatriptan injection side effects that usually improve with time:
- Injection site pain, irritation, or redness
- Numbness or tingling sensation (fingers or toes)
- Feeling dizzy or as if you’re spinning (vertigo)
- Warm, hot flushes
- Stiffness or soreness in your neck
- Feeling weak
Contact your doctor immediately if any of these side effects worsen over time or if you have any of the following adverse events:
- Chest pain that radiates to the neck, shoulder, or jaw
- Difficulty breathing
- One-sided weakness
- Having difficulty speaking, walking, or seeing
- Blood pressure of 180/120 mmHg or above
- Muscle spasm
This list does not include all of Sumatriptan Injection’s health risks. Other adverse outcomes are possible.
- Make sure that you have fully disclosed your medical history before beginning this therapy to your doctor, especially if you have heart disease, liver, or blood circulation problems, as this can worsen your current medical condition.
- If you are allergic to Sumatriptan or any other component, do not use this medication.
- Keep an eye out for any allergic reactions, such as rashes, hives, swelling of the face and lips, throat tightness, or difficulty breathing, when taking this drug. You should seek emergency medical attention as soon as these signs and symptoms emerge.
- Inform your doctor about your medications, especially when taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) drugs and vitamins.
- Use caution if you have an allergy to latex when using Imitrex injection. The needle shield of the pre-filled syringe contains dry natural rubber, which is a latex derivative.
- Avoid injecting Sumatriptan into your muscles or veins, as this can result in serious side effects.
- Be sure to keep this medication away from the reach of children and store it accordingly in a cool dry place.
How much is the cost of Imitrex Injection in Canada?
Check the top of this description to compare our prices with other online pharmacies and how affordable we are.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Imitrex Injection and Imitrex Pills?
On Imitrex Injection vs Pills, the former is immediate acting/ultra-fast with a 70% efficacy response rate and used for intense headaches with vomiting, whereas the latter works between 40% and 60% for mild and slow-onset headaches.
Is it safe to drive after receiving an injection of Imitrex?
This medication may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Avoid tasks that need alertness, such as driving and operating machines to avoid accidents.
Imitrex injection, how long to work?
Pain from a migraine or cluster headache may subside within 10 minutes after injecting the medicine.