Carboxymethylcellulose drops are employed to alleviate discomfort from dry and irritated eyes. Dry eyes often result from factors like wind, sunlight, indoor heating or air conditioning, prolonged computer usage or reading, and specific medications. Eye lubricants serve to maintain adequate moisture, safeguard the eyes against injury and potential infections, and alleviate dry eye symptoms such as burning, itching, and the sensation of foreign particles in the eye.
Uses and Dosage
Your physician will provide you with dosage instructions and frequency for this medication. Adhere strictly to your doctor’s recommended dosage and usage frequency; refrain from exceeding the prescribed amount or using it more frequently.
If you are utilizing this medication without a prescription, adhere to the directions on the medicine label.
To administer the eye drops, the following steps should be followed:
- Thoroughly wash hands with soap and water.
- Do not allow the dropper tip to touch the eye or any other surface, and ensure that it is kept clean.
- Tilt the head back and pull down the lower lid of the eye using the index finger to form a pocket.
- Hold the dropper as close to the eye as possible without making contact, and brace the remaining fingers against the face.
- Squeeze the dropper gently to instill a single drop in the pocket created by the lower eyelid while looking upwards.
- Remove the index finger from the lower eyelid and keep the eye closed for 2-3 minutes while tilting the head down.
- Apply gentle pressure to the tear duct using a finger.
- Use a tissue to wipe off any excess liquid from the face.
- Wash hands to remove any residual medication.
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention:
- eye pain and discomfort
- eye irritation
- visual disturbances
Prior to using this product, inform your healthcare provider or pharmacist about any allergies you may have, as well as any other sensitivities. Inactive components present in the product could potentially trigger allergic reactions or other adverse effects.
If you have any existing health conditions, consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist before using this product.
Following application of this product, your vision may experience temporary blurriness. Refrain from activities such as driving, operating machinery, or engaging in tasks requiring clear vision until your visual clarity is restored and it is safe to do so.
During pregnancy, only use this medication when it is absolutely necessary. Discuss the potential risks and benefits with your physician.
It is unclear if this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Form and Strength
Refresh Tears is available in the following forms and strengths:
Refresh Tears drops:
How frequently should you use Refresh Tears?
In general, for most artificial tears, you do not want to use them more than 4 times a day. The reason is because most types of artificial tears contain preservatives.
Can I use Refresh Tears before sleeping?
Yes. If you frequently experience dry eyes in the morning, apply eyedrops to your eyes each night before bed.