Fosamax Plus D is a medication prescribed to treat osteoporosis in women after menopause. This also helps increase bone mass in men with osteoporosis.
FOSAMAX PLUS D Generic name is alendronate/cholecalciferol. The two main ingredients alendronate (as sodium) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) in this drug help improve bone mineral density and reduce the risk of bone fractures.
Difference Between FOSAMAX and FOSAMAX PLUS
The following is the key distinction between the two:
- Fosamax contains alendronate sodium as the active ingredient while Fosamax Plus, the newer formulation contains alendronate with cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) as the main ingredients. The newer version contains double the cholecalciferol dose of the previous.
FOSAMAX PLUS D Price
We are committed to providing the most inexpensive pharmaceutical alternatives possible to our clients. Check out our Fosamax Plus D prices to see how much less we charge for medications than other stores and pharmacies.
FOSAMAX PLUS D Dosage:
For osteoporosis treatment in postmenopausal women and to increase bone density in men with osteoporosis:
- 70 mg alendronate/2800 international units vitamin D3 or one 70 mg alendronate/5600 international units vitamin D3 tablet once a week.
- For men and women with osteoporosis, the suitable dose is 70 mg alendronate/5600 international units of vitamin D3 once a week.
Therapy with FOSAMAX PLUS D should be appropriately supervised in patients with mental disabilities who cannot comply with dosing instructions.
- This should be taken with a full glass of plain water at least one-half hour before the first food, beverage, or medication of the day to maximize alendronate absorption.
- Do not lie down after taking this drug to preclude the risk of severe esophageal adverse experiences. This should be taken exactly as directed to ensure its effectiveness and reduce the risk of problems in your esophagus.
Side Effects of FOSAMAX PLUS D
The most common side effects are:
- Abdominal pain; heartburn
- Stomach upset
- Joints or muscle pain
- Allergic reactions such as hives, swelling of the face, lips, tongue.
- Worsening of asthma symptoms.
Advise your doctor if you experience side effects that remain persistent.
For more information on all the possible side effects, consult your doctor.
- Patients are advised to wait at least 30 minutes after taking this medication before ingesting any other oral medications to preclude interference with the body’s alendronate absorption.
- Exercise caution when this is administered to patients with active upper gastrointestinal problems because of possible irritation and worsening of underlying disease. Alert your doctor to any signs of possible esophageal reaction.
- If you experience adverse side effects, stop taking this medication and immediately consult your doctor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this drug be used to treat Vitamin D deficiency?
This should not be used to treat vitamin D deficiency. In case of vitamin D deficiency, a higher dose of vitamin D may be needed. The deficiency should first be treated before using this medication.
Is FOSAMAX PLUS D a hormone?
No, it is not a hormone and should not be used in premenopausal women.