Premarin is used to treat symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes, and vaginal dryness, burning, and irritation. Other uses include prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, and replacement of estrogen in women with ovarian failure or other conditions that cause a lack of natural estrogen in the body.
Premarin works by replacing natural estrogens in a woman who can no longer produce enough estrogen. It works for advanced prostate cancer by antagonizing male hormones.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Premarin?
Do not use Premarin if you:
- have a history of heart attack, stroke, or blood clot (especially in your lung or your lower body);
- have abnormal vaginal bleeding that a doctor has not checked;
- have liver disease; or
- have any type of breast, uterine, or hormone-dependent cancer
- are pregnant or suspect you may be pregnant.
Before using Premarin, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:
- high blood pressure, heart disease, or circulation problems;
- a personal or family history of stroke;
- liver or kidney disease;
- epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
- under active thyroid;
- high cholesterol or triglycerides;
- high or low levels of calcium in your blood;
- systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE);
- gallbladder disease; or
- if you have had your uterus removed (hysterectomy).
If you have any of these conditions, you may not be able to use Premarin, or you may need a dosage adjustment or special tests during treatment.
How is Premarin taken?
Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you by your doctor. Do not use the medication in larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended by your doctor.
Premarin can be taken on a daily basis. For certain conditions, the medication is given in a cycle, such as 3 weeks on followed by 1 week off. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take this medication with a full glass of water. You may take Premarin with or without food. Try to take the medicine at the same time each day.
Side effects of Premarin
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Serious side effects that will require immediate medical attention include:
- Chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- pain or swelling in your lower leg
Common side effects, that need medical attention only if they persist or worsen, include:
- Breast pain or tenderness;
- hair loss;
- mild nausea or vomiting;
- spotting or breakthrough bleeding;
- stomach cramps or bloating.
What should I avoid while taking Premarin?
Do not smoke while using this medication. Smoking can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, or heart attack.
Do not use Premarin if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Premarin is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use it, check with your doctor.
Do not use Premarin with or without progestins to prevent heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, or dementia. Using estrogens with or without progestins may increase your chances of getting heart attacks, strokes, breast cancer, and blood clots. Using estrogens, with or without progestins, may increase your risk of dementia, based on a study of women 65 years of age or older.
CanDrugstore.com, a Canadian Internet-based pharmacy intermediary (license #BC L65), offers low cost, long-term prescription drugs. A professionally registered pharmacist fills all Canadian prescriptions. A certified member of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association, CanDrugstore.com is ranked as one of the best Canadian pharmacies online.
For more information on how to order Canada drugs safely and securely call 1-866-444-6376 or visit http://www.candrugstore.com/ – a trusted and reliable Canadian online pharmacy for over 5 years.