Flagyl is a medication prescribed to treat bacterial infections in the vaginal area, stomach, liver, skin, joints, brain and spinal cord, lungs, heart, and respiratory tract.
Flagyl generic name is Metronidazole, an antibiotic used in the treatment of a vast variety of infections.
- This is used to treat trichomoniasis, a parasitic sexually transmitted illness. Even if one sexual partner has no symptoms, both are usually treated at the same time.
- This may also be used in combination with other drugs to treat particular intestinal or stomach ulcers brought about by bacteria.
Flagyl and Alcohol
- While using Flagyl, and for at least three days after the last dose of treatment, alcohol should be avoided. Taking alcohol with this drug can result in side effects and make you feel nauseous, cause stomach cramps, headaches, and flushing.
- If you’re treating a vaginal infection, your sexual partner may also need to take this medication to prevent you from getting reinfected.
- This is normally taken for a period of ten days. This dosage may need to be repeated many weeks later.
- Continue to take this medicine even if your symptoms improve quickly. It is possible for your infection to become resistant to treatment if you skip doses.
- A vaginal yeast infection will not be treated with this medication. You might potentially have a new vaginal yeast infection, which would require antifungal medicine to cure. If you experience symptoms like itching or discharge while or after taking the medication, tell your doctor.
Flagyl Side Effects
The following are some of the most common adverse effects:
- Depression, insomnia, and irritability.
- Headaches, dizziness, and exhaustion;
- Nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, and stomach discomfort;
- Constipation, diarrhea
- Unpleasant metallic flavor;
- Itching and rash;
- Itching or vaginal discharge and pain during intercourse;
- Ulcers in the mouth; or
- A tongue that is swollen, red, or “hairy”
- If you’ve recently consumed alcohol or taken disulfiram (Antabuse) during the last two weeks, you should not take this medication
- While using the medication and for at least 3 days after stopping it, avoid drinking alcohol or eating foods or medications that contain propylene glycol.
Frequently Asked Questions
-What is Flagyl used for?
This antibiotic is prescribed to treat symptoms associated with bacterial infections in the vaginal area, the stomach, the liver, the joints, the brain, and the respiratory system. It can be taken alone or combined with other treatments.
-How to deal with Flagyl side effects?
Have a supply of sweet hard candies (sugar-free if desired) or mints on hand throughout therapy to help conceal the taste.
If swallowing the bitter flavor is difficult, consider covering it with chocolate, such as chocolate pudding or chocolate milk.
-What is Flagyl 500 mg for?
Each tablet contains 500 mg Metronidazole, this is a bacterial antibiotic used to treat infections of the vaginal, stomach, liver, skin, joints, brain, and respiratory system.