Lupron Depot Description
This medication kit is used to treat uterine disorders (such as endometriosis, fibroids). This is usually given with iron to improve anemia due to too much vaginal bleeding. This drug works by shrinking abdominal uterine tissue that causes symptoms such as pelvic pain, painful/heavy menstrual flow, and abdominal bloating. Uterine tissues need the female hormone estrogen to grow and spread. This kit reduces the amount of estrogen produced in the body.
This injectable long-acting drug may also be administered for men with prostate cancer. The active element in this Kit is similar to a naturally occurring hormone called gonadotropin-releasing hormone.
Lupron Depot for Endometriosis
This kit is a prescription drug used to treat endometriosis by suppressing the hormones causing endometrial tissue to grow. It decreases endometriosis discomfort and diminishes endometriotic lesions.
Lupron Depot for Prostate Cancer
Lupron Depot is a type of hormone therapy normally used in combination with other treatments for people with prostate cancer. It is one of the numerous medications that may be recommended to help combat prostate cancer by lowering testosterone levels and slowing the growth of the disease.
Adult Dosage for Endometriosis and Uterine Leiomyoma
- Lupron Depot 3.75 mg intramuscularly once a month for up to 6 months or;
- Every three months, an 11.25 mg depot is administered.
- Follow exactly your doctor’s instructions for using this kit. Read and follow all drug guides as prescribed.
- This kit is injected once a month or every 3 to 6 months under the skin or into a muscle.
- Only use needles and syringes once, then store them in a puncture-proof “sharps” container and dispose of them properly.
Lupron Depot Side Effects
Potential adverse Effects
- Irregular bleeding for females
- Cloudy urine for male
- Gastrointestinal discomfort
- Constipation or diarrhea
- For a short time, there may be soreness at the injection site.
- When you start using Lupron Depot, your symptoms may temporarily worsen. Inform your doctor if this persists for more than two months.
- If you experience a seizure or see any odd changes in mood or behavior, contact your doctor immediately.
- This medication has the potential to damage unborn babies or cause birth abnormalities.
Frequently asked Questions
What is Lupron Depot?
This is a medication used to treat the symptoms of Advanced Prostate Cancer, Endometriosis, and Fibroids and may be used alone or with other drugs.
What are Lupron Depot’s long-term side effects?
Osteoporosis is a significant side effect of long-term use. Many of these negative effects can be mitigated or prevented by taking additional “add-back” hormones.
Will I get my period while on Lupron depot?
Most women will stop having periods two months after starting treatment with this kit for endometriosis. Some women experienced minor bleeding or spotting. Most women will have normal periods after three months of finishing this medication.