Kaopectate is used in the treatment of diarrhea (including traveler’s diarrhea). It works by absorbing fluid in the intestine. Kaopectate is also used to reduce the amount of discharge in patients who have undergone an ileostomy.
Kaopectate treats only the symptoms, not the cause of the diarrhea (e.g. infection).
- To maintain normal bowel habits, it is important to drink plenty of fluids, eat foods high in fiber and exercise regularly.
- Do not give Kaopectate to a child or teenager who has chickenpox, the flu, or another viral infection. Use Kaopectate with extreme caution in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Discuss with your doctor if you taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- Avoid taking this medicine if you have bleeding problems (e.g., hemophilia), active bleeding ulcer, black or bloody stools.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you
- are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding;
- have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances;
- have a history of stroke;
- have a certain type of bulging blood vessel (aneurysm) in the brain;
- have stomach/abdominal pain, bowel obstruction;
- have diabetes, gout, arthritis, fever, mucus in the stool, inflammation of the stomach, Kawasaki syndrome, kidney problems, chickenpox, the flu.
Kaopectate Side Effects
- hearing loss
- nausea/ringing in the ears
- severe constipation
- severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue)
This information is advisory only. It does not contain all information about this medication. If you have any questions about Kaopectate, ask your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider.
CanDrugstore.com, a Canadian Internet-based pharmacy intermediary (license #BC X23), offers low cost, long-term prescription drugs. A professionally registered pharmacist fills all Canadian prescriptions. A certified member of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association, CanDrugstore.com is ranked as one of the best Canadian pharmacies .
For more information on how to order Canada drugs safely and securely call 1-866-444-6376 or visit http://www.candrugstore.com/– a trusted and reliable Canadian online pharmacy for over 5 years.